Thursday 2 May 2013

Evaluation Q3 - What Have You Learnt From Your Audience Feedback?

Throughout the duration of this project, i have obtained regular feedback from peers, teachers and my target audience, this has enabled me to progress with the development of this project. Having regular feedback enables me to get the best possible mark, and having the best effective products that suit my genre and appeal to my target audience. 

The first audience feedback we got with this project was when we had finished presenting our very first pitch to the class, explaining our first ideas for this project. From this we gained both positive reviews and positive criticism, however this has given us a better final product. Below is a link to us presenting our pitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wamPRNHrJw&safe=active

As creating a music video was a new experience for me I needed a lot of audience feedback to make sure that everything I was creating was appealing to my target audience. The narrative of the "Hey There Delilah" music video was one specific area that needed development, in which having audience feedback helped me with this substantially. The first video idea basically saw the band performing in an isolated area to show that this was a sad song, with the narrative being two characters walking through the city arguing, making u then arguing again, then making up again. However once we finished the filming and started editing the music video, after the first minute or so we weren't very happy with the outcome. The mise-en-scene was right , the styling of the characters wasn't right, it didn't match the genre of the band,we should our teacher and peers for some advise, whom believe we could produce something more creative and captivating than our original idea. 

The feedback we got from our peers and teachers, gave us the confidence to go for shots that were more daring, bold and creative, pushing challenging concepts that were seen as to be out if our group comfort zone. I feel that the narrative idea that we chose came after much deliberation and development, however now we have a stronger, more creative narrative idea, engaging audiences through the concept of "Reception Theory", we used images in our music video such as abstract wildlife or city landscapes. 





Audience feedback of music video. 

Other audience feedback has proven to be successful, it was suggested at the very end when the guitarist walks off we fade to black as the background is black in the first place it just made the end look more professional and effective, without the fade to black you could see light coming through parts of the background. 

Overall I feel that audience feedback has played a vital key role within the development of my advanced portfolio. I have come to understand without audience feedback our music video wouldn't have reached out to our target audience as well as it does now. With audience feedback whether its positive or negative it helped me progress and develop my work in the right way. I also became aware of usual flaws that I make with a lot of my work, that I wasn't aware of. 

From the positive reviews and criticism we now have an effective music video, that reaches out to our target audience, using common conventions with our own twist to them to making them unique. Below is a link to our final music video. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qgg5qSEVRd8&safe=active

Audience feedback also helped me with my ancillary task, below is what my first magazine advertisement looked like. When I look back on my first magazine advertisement draft, I can see that I don't reach out to my target audience well, as I haven't used all the common conventions to appeal to my genre. 

I showed this to my peers and this is the response I got :-

  •  male - the main image doesn't stand out well, the colour of the main image doesn't match the colour scheme of the rest of the magazine advertisement. 
  • male - doesn't show me how i could follow or contact the band by social networking sites.
  • female - I like how the background is a rustic brown that gets darker as it goes further out.
  • male - the font goes well with the genre of the band.
  • female -  Although the main image is in black and white, I can see that the style of the band members fits the band genre well. 
From these criticisms, I was able to develop my ancillary tasks further to make them appeal and attract my target audience. I noticed that I wasn't using all the common conventions that professional magazine advertisements use, which is why my magazine advertisement as reaching out or attracting the attention of my target audience. 

This is now my magazine advertisement, the main image is now more effective, I have added an effect to the image, giving it a darker, rock effect to fit the genre of the band. I have placed falling petals to represent a symbol that the band will always have on their work. 


It is clear to say that without audience feedback our music video and ancillary tasks would be in a critical state, I have been able to acknowledged how vital it is to get feedback from our audience thought the development process. Having other criticize and evaluate you own creations makes you more aware of the common mistakes you are making within your work. Audience evaluations is vital with all work that is being designed and developed over a long period of time as we tend to over look simple mistakes as we see our work constantly therefore we don't notice mistakes which could have a possible big impact the the work being effective or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment